Tuesday, April 28, 2015

30 Days of Inspiration! Day 28: Tyler Grace

Tonight I bring a wonderful photographer from Australia! He is super nice and helpful and I really enjoyed talking to him. Hope you guys enjoy his interview! A short announcement as well! When starting this project, I made sure I asked well over 30 photographers to participate. Knowing how things sometimes go, I didn't expect to get replies from everyone, and I didn't. The ones I did though, thank you so much for all your wonderful words and being a part of this little blog journey of mine! With that said, there were also a few more than 30 photographers to reply, so this series will extend until all photographers are highlighted. I feel like that is only appropriate seeing how they were so nice to reply and have an interest in being in this little group of highlights. On to tonight's highlight, Tyler Grace! :)




"Deep"

1. Introduce yourself and the style of photography you think best represents your work.


Hi, I'm Tyler! I'm 21 years old and I'm a conceptual/fine art photographer from a town in Australia called Albury! I love sharing my thoughts, emotions and experiences through my photography. I live with a myriad of chronic illnesses that severely limit me in what I do, and due to them I can't go out and do photo shoots very often, but I try my hardest to push through the limitations that my illnesses put on me. I pay for it each and every time I shoot with having to spend a few weeks stuck in bed and in a lot of pain, but it is usually worth it!

2. How did you get into photography? 

When I was little my Dad would bring his Nikon D70 to all of the family gatherings and parties. I didn't know at the time, but that is where my love for photography began. I would ask my Dad if I could use his camera and I would be shooting with it all night! After a while he ended up just giving it to me without me having to even ask!

It had been a couple of years since I last shot with Dad's camera when I just had this random craving to do some photography, but alas I had no camera of my own, so I decided to save up for one and in January of 2012 I purchased my own Canon 60D and it was honestly the best purchase I have ever made! It changed my life for the better!


"Anxiety"
3. What inspires your photographs? 

My experiences being chronically ill are the main things that inspire me, but sometimes the most random things in the world can inspire me, like a funny shaped leaf or a rock formation, as well as clothing! I find a lot of inspiration in other photographer's work as well such as Benjamin Von Wong, Rob Woodcox, Brooke Shaden and Robert Cornelius!

4.Where are some of your favorite places to shoot? 

Back when I first got my camera, I enjoyed shooting in the studio, but thee days I enjoy shooting out on location most! My favourite location is probably our near the Hume Weir, even driving up as far as Tallangatta! There are tons of places up by the Hume Lake which are awesome!

5.Do you like to photograph other things, or just your main work?

 I love photographing other things as well as my main work. The only problem is that due to being chronically ill I rarely have the energy to shoot my main work, so the other stuff has to be pushed aside until I have that extra bit of energy. The other styles I love shooting are fashion and glamour!

"Staring Into The Unkown"
6. What is your favorite photo you've taken and why?

My photo which is called "Staring Into The Unknown" is my favourite shot! It turned out exactly how I wanted it to turn out and I feel it conveys a strong message to keep pushing forward and not give up despite not knowing what is ahead! It was tough for me to do and I had to face that exact challenge while taking the shot! It was 6am on a cold mid-winters morning and getting in the water to take this shot was extremely tough! It was beyond freezing, and that is not good for my body. In fact I was down and out for about 4 weeks after doing it! I didn't give up and kept pressing on until I got the shot I wanted It was well worth the after effects though!

7. What do you want your viewers to take away from your work? 

I want my viewers to not only understand my stories, feelings and experiences behind my images, but to also create a meaning of their own!

8. What gear do you use? What's your most used lens and why? 

My kit nowadays is a Sony A7R with a Sony-Zeiss 55mm 1.8 lens. My most used kit though is my Canon 60D with lens being a Tamron 17-50 2.8. I recently upgraded to the Sony from my Canon, but due to only having the one lens for my Sony, I still use my Canon/Tamron combo for most of my wide angle shots! My lighting kit is full of speedlights, an Einstein E640 strobe and a few different modifiers which are mainly 60x90 softboxes and various sized octaboxes.

"Becoming The Grim"
9. Who would you say is your favorite photographer? Why? 

Benjamin Von Wong. His vision and concepts are incredible. He was the reason that I got serious about my photography! He knows exactly what he wants and can get through any challenges that are put in his way and create amazing imagery! I could write more about why I love his work, but I would be typing all night! You can see and hear more about my story with Ben here! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeYK5uzR3cE

10. Have you dealt with any negativity as a photographer, if so, how did you overcome it? 

I haven't really experienced any negativity from other people, but I have had some negative experiences due to my health. I have had to cancel shoots part way through, I have tried to push through some shoots and almost ended up in hospital because I was too unwell to even be out of bed let alone doing a photo shoot!
11. Do you plan on doing anything with your photography or do you shoot just for fun? 

Sometime in the next few months I will be moving down to Melbourne, where I will have a lot more opportunities with my photography than I have here in little old Albury, and I am hoping to slow down on the paid glamour/fashion work and instead focus on marketing and doing conceptual/fine art shoots. Selling prints of my work is a big goal of mine as well!

12. Do you have a favorite inspirational quote? If so, what is it and why is it your favorite?

"Don't just breathe...live!" - Benjamin Von Wong I have lived my life by this quote, even before Ben said it in one of his videos, although before then I didn't know exactly how to explain it.

13. What is one experience from shoots that you will always remember? 

I will always remember the photo shoot that I did with Benjamin Von Wong and a heap of other photographers when Ben came to Australia and took me on the adventure of a lifetime!

I pushed my body way past it's limits and did many things that I never thought I could do, and even though I was physically destroyed before I even had a chance to shoot I managed to get some really awesome shots!

"The Imaginary World Beyond"
14. What would be the best advice you could give to a new photographer? 

Never give up, never let anyone tell you that you can't do it, create images you love and most of all...have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment