Monday, October 28, 2013

Flak to Encouragement

     As a photographer I go through so much criticism daily. You would think it would be from random people about my work but it's not. Other photographers can be harsh in this type of work. I've seen people completely destroy someone just because they're a beginner and their work isn't up to the standards of other more experienced photographers. It makes me sad because while it is weeding out people that can't handle the pressure, it is also making the photography world lose a potential artist. I'll admit that it's pretty hard to give people compliments because of how people treat each other in this day of age. Bullying gets younger and younger each year. Not my point though.

     Since I've started doing my work and publicly displaying them whether it's on facebook, blogs, deviant, or printing for gallery hangings (wish I had more of these, ha ha) I've noticed just how discouraging other's can be.
              "Oh, she copied that idea!"
      That seems to be the running quote of other photographers. While some things are obvious that they may or may not of copied another photographer's idea, we all have to remember that nothing is original anymore and if another person does something similar to you just know that you encouraged them! It could be as simple as taking a photo with balloons in it and then someone else a couple of days later will take one similar. It's not a bad thing for other people to do this, yes, it does get irritating, but it has taken me a long time to just let it go and know that I stand in my own area in photography and my work is original to myself. I've tried to be a family, children, newborn, etc. photographer but that's not me. That type of work doesn't reflect who I am as a photographer.

     We all influence someone in our lives, whether it's good or bad, and we have to keep in mind that what we to do others can really make or break them. Referring back to my first post, Art As An Outlet , I've been heavily hurt many times by other people's actions and words. I eventually too fell into hurting some people that I cared a lot about because those bullies rubbed off on me. Now, I didn't do anything extreme and it ended real fast when I realized I hurt this person. Basically, if a person doesn't ask for criticism then don't give it to them. That's what this generation is lacking is passion and if everyone lets their jealousy take over then we're all destroying each other and eventually you'll destroy yourself.

     I think what makes us all so critical is that we're jealous... jealous of other's potentially "stealing" clients from us, being better than us at our own game, or even maybe they're a better person in general. Instead of giving people flak if you're honestly jealous of another's work or personality then why not just change yourself? Now, I've seen cases where people take that literally and try to become that person and that is definitely not what I mean at all. If you're jealous over someone's kind heart then soften yours. You don't have to act, talk, walk, and photograph like that person but inspiration can come from anywhere including other people. I personally wish I wasn't so head strong and against most people. Childhood bullying can either kill you, make you a weak person, or make you too strong of a person. I kind of fall into both weak and strong. I have a very kind heart towards people in general but at the same time I can hate a person pretty easy as well. I feel like I keep trailing off on my original topic, ha! Sometimes my thoughts just take me away!

     Critiquing isn't at all an extremely bad thing but only when it's necessary. A humorous example would be one time a new photographer buddy of mine, which is still new a producing some great work ideal wise, posted an engagement session and in one of the photos I realized she had her butt hanging out of the bottom of her dress. I instantly messaged him and told him to change it. That is an example of a friendly not asked for critique. I could of easily said to him that this, this, and this was wrong just because it wasn't my style of photography and to me certain things are "wrong" in my book (which there wasn't anything wrong but the butt). Since he is still learning, I don't give him the boot, I give friendly yet firm suggestions and let him take what he wants from it.

     Let's face it, the art world is dying. When I say art, I mean ART. Yes we still use photography and other artistic forms for advertising and other things but art in general is getting less and less each day and we should all encourage one another to continue what we love no matter what. I chose the path of a starving artist and while I struggle with a few things in my life... I am more thankful and happier than I've ever been because I'm doing what I love and not settling. I'm also so very happy to be able to encourage others to better their work or even themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment