Wednesday, July 23, 2014

The Details

     I get asked this a lot with my images and I always forget to tell people how or why. Last night my boyfriend hovered over me while I was doing some editing to an image and he says, "That was A LOT of attention to detail, how did you even see that?"

     As a kid I loved to draw. I drew all the time everywhere and mostly in class at school. They obviously forbade it so I would have to kind of sneak drawing. I'd get really close to my paper and draw miniature figures. I did that all the time even after I got caught. Also, I drew so close to the paper because I didn't want others to see. I was scared to show my thoughts and talent. I often had kids take my drawings a rip them up, scribble over them, or yell at me and tell me that I didn't draw that and that I was lying even going as far as forcing me to draw in front of them - which made me super nervous so you can imagine how that one went.

     Doing this has ruined my eyesight. I used to have 20/10 eyesight and over the years with hiding my talents and keeping it a secret I now have pretty poor eyesight. I can only see very close up. My computer screen is a bit fuzzy and it's only a few feet away from me. I had glasses for a bit but hardly wore them because they were just too inconvenient. My parents ended up letting me get contacts my freshman year in high school because I played volleyball and well... you kind of need to see long distance and glasses are highly not recommended.

     Anyways, when I first put in my contacts I cried. For the first time in many many years I had my vision back. I was able to play volleyball better, sit in the back of the classrooms instead of the front so I could see the board, drive at night, even draw better and bigger! I was so excited and I love them with every part of me.

     Though I lost a lot of my eyesight it did give me the talent of being able to see details, being up close with my images and really getting into the tiniest of parts. With my contacts I can practically see everything now. My eyes are like a 4k t.v. It used to give me headaches when I first got my contacts because before then I wasn't used to all of the detail. I'm definitely okay now and I can see even more detail in objects. I could sit around all day and mope about not having great eyes anymore, but I turned it into a positive and believe that in some way it helped me grow as an artist and helped my brain to process information in a different way.

No comments:

Post a Comment