Friday, November 15, 2013

Artistic Style

     I mentioned a little bit about my style in a few other blogs and you can clearly tell in my photos. My whole life I've always been drawn to the darker side of things. Paranormal, horror movies, various religions, etc. I had this itch to know more and see more. I've always loved trying to find beauty in death with my images. I used to create gore images and eventually got out of that because as much as a shock value as it was, it wasn't what my heart truly loved to create.

     I'm not really a person that likes glitz and glamorous things. I've always lived in my means and tried to stay true to myself as an artist and person. Some key things play into almost every image that I create.
  • Bare Feet- I personally hate feet. They're nasty and people don't know how to take care of them but at the same time I love the natural feel my photos have without shoes. Shoes can add or take away from an image and I feel like the type of work I do really doesn't need shoes. Also, as a kid I hardly ever wore shoes. I loved walking outside barefoot playing in the dirt and grass.
  • Natural Appearance- I like to have no makeup, or hardly any, in my images and I like to have hair as natural as possible. Every person has natural beauty and I love creating beautiful images without having a load of makeup or fake hair. It's just something I prefer.
  • Dresses- I mainly love older vintage dresses! They're my favorite. The reason behind it is because my mother would always dress me in these cute dresses trimmed with lace. They looked like baby doll dresses and I loved them! I guess that's just one way I use to incorporate my mother into all of my images. Not to mention she generally buys all the dresses you see in my images. 
  • Long Hair- I am absolutely obsessed with long hair. I used to have hair down to my butt as a child and I just love how longer hair flows in the wind and drapes across everything so eloquently. I cut it to my shoulders as a kid and I have regretted it ever since. My hair is a lot longer now but I want it to grow more! 
  • Texture- I LOVE textures. I got into this hole with my photography for a while where I was a purist. I didn't edit images and I tried to keep them to-the-books, but after I realized who I was truly as an artist I started to incorporate textures more. I have a whole texture library saved on my external hard drive of textures I took images of during a shoot or while exploring a location. I can't get enough of them! I really love the painterly effect they give an image. 
  • Colors- Colors play a role in my images as well. Mostly colors are used to represent something like death, life, purity, good, or evil. I like to keep my colors in my images very low. I desaturate my images a lot because I don't really like colors too much. Okay, that sounds a little morbid but what I mean is while editing colors like hot pinks, bright reds, vibrant greens and yellows all really hurt my eyes to look at and I tend to try and get rid of them. For some reason my eyes are just very sensitive to brighter colors and bright lights in general. I have to wear sunglasses outside or my eyes literally burn from the light. I remember my mom having to hold my hand to walk me to the car one day because my eyes would NOT open as much as I tried... just a silly side story.
  • Diffused Natural Lighting- I can not express how much I dislike studio photography. I can do it, I just don't like it. To me there is nothing like natural light. Ever since I started photography I've always shot in natural light. I've experimented with studio lights but never got anywhere with it because it's not something I'm generally attracted to. I love to shoot in completely diffused lighting. I hate hard shadows that the sun creates and much prefer "flat" light. I shoot either in the shade, when it's overcast outside, or during magic hour. Those are my favorite times to shoot and I love the beautiful lighting it gives.
  • Abandoned Areas or Wooden Areas- I generally shoot in these types of situations and I love them. I expressed in my blog "Inspiration" why I love these locations so much.
     This is just a general list of the types of things I always try to incorporate in my images and why. I try to always go back to this list and make sure I'm sticking with it so I'll have a cohesive portfolio.

Here is a link to a short video of the location used here --> Behind the Scenes 
"Watered Down Fables"

No comments:

Post a Comment