Wednesday, November 13, 2013

The Fall

     I talked some about what inspires me and that kind of told a little bit about my style but my style goes a bit deeper than just a location. My art has always been on the darker side not always but mostly. I've always knew what my style was I just didn't know how to execute it properly until recently when I finally sat down and taught myself how to do these processes easier and what would be the most effective way to do things.

     Like I've said before, I get a concept in my head out of nowhere most of the times and I used to take that and run with it and end up doing a half way decent job of my concept, but not actually achieving what I wanted to in the end. The last bit of concepts I've actually sat down and planned them. I drew some sketches and wrote a little bit about each concept so I wouldn't forget and also would be able to reference them for when it came time to shoot them. Doing that has made shooting my concepts a lot easier and more therapeutic for me as an artist.

     When sketching, I would draw what kind of outfit I want, what the pose would look like, how I wanted things to lay out, etc. I'd also write things out like what colors are going to be involved in the image, location, if I want a blonde, brunette, or redhead, and write a little about the concept that way when I get to the location it will only take about 5-10 minutes of shooting and I'm done. It also helps when I have a model come out because I have specific instructions for my vision that makes it easier for them to understand.
     I always make it a point to have some sort of emotion in my work. Whether you feel it right off or not and whether it's the same emotion as someone else or not, I still try to tell a story with my work. 

     I usually don't talk about my work because I want the viewer to take what they want from it and interpret it in their own way, but I figured it would be nice to explain what I personally had in mind for my concept. This first image is called "The Fall". I originally had a vision that expressed my love for fall but not in the conventional way you'd think. What I tried to achieve with this piece was to show how fall is beautiful yet sad in a way. It's the death of one season but life of another. I symbolically showed this here. The leaves start out as fresh, green and healthy and slowly changes into brown, crumbling, dead leaves to symbolize life and death. I also chose red with her dress to symbolize this as well. Red can be portrayed as so many different things. Some people think of love while others think of power. Here in used red as blood. Blood in life and blood in death. I personally dislike the color red but symbolically it has so many different meanings plus it's a general fall color and it coordinated with the green from the trees. I used the red dress and green trees to also symbolize winter. What holiday is in the winter? Christmas. What colors do people think of to symbolize Christmas? Red and Green. 

"The Fall" (1/2)

      While I had "The Fall" in my head... I was laying down to go to sleep and couldn't stop thinking about my concept and how to push it a little bit further. I thought of how a girl became the season itself and became the tree that was losing its leaves. While the first image showed more of a happier side of it the image "Autumn" shows the, I guess you could say, reality of the season. People love this time of year and find so much joy in it but once you break it down and think about it... its all about death yet people still think its beautiful. There are so many things in this life what are beautiful and for people to find beauty in death is a little cynical don't ya think? Just a funny way to think about it.
"Autumn" (2/2)

No comments:

Post a Comment