Friday, April 10, 2015

30 Days of Inspiration! Day 10: Alex Moldovan

Today I bring to you a 21-year-old photographer from the UK. I will mainly be showing you guys his more conceptual and surreal works, but he has amazing photos of dancers and macro photos that I think you guys should really check out as well! Head over to his page and look at those beautiful images! 




1. Introduce yourself and the style of photography you think best represents your work (fashion, conceptual, fine art, dark art, new born, etc.)



Hello, my name is Alex Moldovan, 21 years old, I am a final year student finishing my masters in chemistry in the UK and I would say my work could best be described as conceptual and slightly dark.

"Hard Working"
2. How did you get into photography?

Well I always believe that everyone has some form of creative in them that they need to tap into; some describe this as the “inner child”. I took my hand at drawing first, no luck, tried writing poetry … yeah that didn’t turn out too well either. There was that short period that I learned guitar and even took it as far as doing a GCSE in music, but I could only every play Red Hot Chili Peppers songs. Then I discovered photography and its limitless possibilities. If you are reading this blog, I don’t think I need to tell you why photography can be so captivating and rich. I love seeing other people’s work and to get an insight into their mind and why they have chosen to create what they have.


3. What inspires you as a photographer?

Anything and everything. When I was walking into work last year, I would leave my headphones at home. During this time I would have about 35 minutes to think about random things, that’s when a lot of my ideas came to me, just random thoughts triggered by the strangest things. Things like movies and other photographers are a massive influence as well, they stretch the imagination that little bit more!


"Rainbow Flick"
4. What is your favorite photo you've taken and why?


This hard old question. I don’t think I have a “Favorite” photo, as each shoot I do carries with it a different feelings and experiences. If I had to pick one photo that makes me happy, I would have to say “Rainbow Flick”. This was one of the first times I set up my own studio, in my living room, and did a shoot that was just too much fun. There was powder paint everywhere and we had a great giggle with it. Also I love that colour of blue/green from the powder. I always believe that when you are on a shoot, the experience is as important as the final image :)

5. What do you want your viewers to take away from your work?

If I can make one person smile or feel something, I am happy. I’ve always wanted to create work that got people thinking “How did you? What? Is that even possible?”. It’s like a magic trick, you do the performance to make people happy and take them away from reality and their everyday life. And even if it is for just 30 seconds you can make them think that anything is possible.


6. What gear do you use? What's your most used lens and why?

I’m currently using a Nikon D610 and in my camera bag I have 24-70 2.8, 35mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8 , 8mm 3.5 and a 70-300 3.5-5.6. Also for lighting I use a SB-600 and Yuguno flash. My favourite lens is of course the 50mm. Such a beautiful focal range with a brilliant depth of field and it’s the first non-kit lens I bought so it’s 4 years old now and has been through quite a lot. I have a feeling this lens will soon be 2nd place as the 85mm has just recently joined the family and I haven’t had a chance to shoot with it properly.

"Trapped"

7. Who would you say is your favorite photographer? Why?

Can I pick two? Firstly, the incredible Joel Robison for his super self-portraits and unbelievable concepts that he comes up with. He is the guy that initial inspired me to explore conceptual photography and editing. He is also a very kind person; he is down to earth and humble. I think more photographers should have his approach. Secondly, I have recently discovered Robert Cornelius who is just a photoshop god with some incredible ideas. I’ve watched his fast edits and thought “ Oh yeah I see what he is doing. Oooo very cool , yeah I get what’s going on. Oh . Hang on. How ? What?! How on earth did he do that ?!?! WITCHCRAFT!!”. But yes a massive fan of his work in general :) 

"Power Of The Book"
8. Have you dealt with any negativity as a photographer, if so, how did you overcome it?

I would say I have been lucky to have come across negativity towards my work. We’ve all uploaded photos onto forums for critiques and general display, so we all put ourselves out there to be judged by the rest of the community and some people within that community will have different views. Saying that, 95% of the feedback from these communities are positive. I found the negativity as one of the most positive things to come out of photography forums. I know that sounds awful but when someone tells you that they you have done a terrible job with XYZ, you want to improve. That’s how I overcome negativity. I always try to better myself.

9. Do you have a favorite inspirational quote? If so, what is it and why is it your favorite?

I am loving these questions. I currently have 25+ quotes written on posted notes on my door, placed there by my lovely flat mate trying to keep me motivated through my studies. My favorite that I always use is “If it were easy, everyone would be doing it.” It perfectly illiterates the need for hard work to achieve remarkable things.

10. What would be the best advice you could give to someone reading this interview?

If you are new to photography or a veteran in it, keep developing. Never stop exploring and stretching yourself.

"Playing in Nature"
11. Any final words you'd like to say? (If not, then you can just kind of ignore this quesiton, haha)
Also, add any blogs or websites you want as well so I can include that in your feature!

I would like to say a massive thank you to Samantha for giving me the honor to be amongst the people in this list and for offering the opportunity to share my work with other people. All the best wishes with the rest of the blog :)

















Thank you so much Alex for taking time to interview with me! The two photographers mentioned above are definitely wonderful and I love their work as well! Can't wait to see more wonderful works of yours! Also, I couldn't go without showing everyone some of your wonderful work (just in case they don't have facebook). It would be a crime to not show some of the other parts that make you a photographer!











"Fly Away"


"On It's Deathbed"





No comments:

Post a Comment