Tuesday, April 7, 2015

30 Days of Inspiration! Day 7: Madeline Masarik

Today I bring to you a very young and inspiring photographer, Madeline Masarik! She really proves that you don't have to have a Canon 5D mkiii and L lenses to create wonderful and beautiful work! I always seem to be MORE inspired by photographers who have less equipment than photographers who have so much. A lot of times I find people who work with less create more. I also find myself super impressed with young photographers! It always amazing me to see such talent, passion, and knowledge from younger creatives. Hope you enjoy this small interview from Madeline!





1. Introduce yourself and the style of photography you think best represents your work (fashion, conceptual, fine art, dark art, new born, etc.)

My name is Madeline Masarik, I'm an 18-year-old conceptual photographer from St. Augustine, FL.

"Nothing is Real"
2. How did you get into photography?

I got into photography by discovering the work of other artists who had done a 365 project. I sifted through dozens of photos one night, getting so incredibly inspired that I decided to start my own 365. From then on it just blossomed out of control into this crazy, wonderful adventure.

3. What inspires you as a photographer?

As a photographer I am inspired by movies and the environment around me. I really admire the work of Wes Anderson, Tim Burton, Quentin Tarantino, among numerous others. As far as environment goes I'm kind of in a lull right now, I live in Florida and have lived here for most of my life, so as a result I'm pretty uninspired with the landscape. I'm making a huge move in August to Scandinavia (the part is to be determined) so hopefully that will provide a new palette for artistic endeavors.

4. What is your favorite photo you've taken and why?

My favorite photo that I've taken is probably my last 365 image. It kind of sums up my work as a whole and I'm just in love with the colors and everything. I'm really proud of that piece, it signifies both me completing the 365 and beginning my new photography experience apart from the 365.


5. What do you want your viewers to take away from your work?

I want my viewers to take away a sense of adventure. I want them to see my work and want to take photos of their own.

6. What gear do you use? What's your most used lens and why?

I use a Canon T2i and a seriously broken 50mm f/1.8 lens. It's the only lens I own and it has been beaten to death, broken in half, dropped in rivers and riddled with sand and fingerprints. But it's the best.

7. Who would you say is your favorite photographer? Why?

I can't really say I have a favorite photographer but there are several I admire deeply. I love the work of Marat Safin, Oleg Oprisco, and Emmanuel Rosario. Those guys are the best and have very different styles, if you haven't heard of them already you need to check them out.

8. Have you dealt with any negativity as a photographer, if so, how did you overcome it?

As a photographer it can be hard to explain what you do, but as far as negativity goes I haven't really experienced any photography related. Everyone has been very supportive, and I can't thank my family enough for being such an immense source of life and adventure and support for me in my photographic experience.


9. Do you have a favorite inspirational quote? If so, what is it and why is it your favorite?

A quote that I try to live by is "don't do tomorrow what you can do today." Seriously, it's made me a much better person.


10. What would be the best advice you could give to someone reading this interview?

Advice: if you want to do something, find a way to do it and just go. 



Thank you so much Madeline for taking time to do this interview with me! Your work is absolutely beautiful and I hope you continue your conceptual work always! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment