Sunday, April 12, 2015

30 Days of Inspiration! Day 11: Finding Inspiration

No actual photographer for today's inspiration. Due to different time zones and language barriers, I'm waiting on some replies to the questions for the inspirational features :) So, today I bring to you something very different instead!


"The Duet"
Finding Inspiration

How does one find inspiration? With all the amazing photographers I've been able to talk to, there are plenty of inspiration just from them! But instead of getting inspiration from other people, how about going from a different perspective. What makes you happy? What makes you sad? I feel like the best images are emotionally based images. Something that has happened in your life and it doesn't even have to be something bad, but just think of how much you have inside yourself. Think of what makes you who you are and then build around that.

For my work, I take a few different things I loved growing up and have used them in images. Exploring, I love to explore and see the earth taking back! It's so beautiful to see vines and plants growing through man-made items. I can't help but love an old abandoned house that is covered in foliage. I also really love nature in general. I would always play in the wooden area outside my parents house. I loved lakes, creeks, oceans, trees, etc. I always told myself when I was a kid that I would live at the beach and now I do! A lot of my images since moving here has been at the beach! It's the most amazing place to me and I find endless inspiration just being there in such a beautiful, natural and tranquil environment.
I also find a lot of inspiration in music. I grew up singing and playing classical piano and it's been something I've loved my whole life, so I find a lot of inspiration in music lyrics or how a certain composition makes me feel. Old vintage dresses or anything lacey and flowy have a huge role in my images. My mother used to sew and buy me these cute little prairie doll-looking dresses all the time as a kid so it's something that's been with me my whole life - the love for these dresses.
My daily life and experiences I would say have the most impact on my work. If you don't already know, I endure a list of sleep disorders ranging from severe Insomnia to Sleep Paralysis. I often get a lot of inspiration from the dreams (generally nightmares) and hallucinations/sensations that happen during these episodes.

That's what makes me who I am and that's what makes my work unique. Everyone has the ability to inspire themselves and that's something I want you all to understand and tap into! Don't waste your time trying to be someone else or trying to copy another person's work. Be you and your work will be as unique as you are!


"Eluding Sleep"

No comments:

Post a Comment