Thursday, April 23, 2015

30 Days of Inspiration! Day 23: Vincent Minor

I'm so excited to introduce another male conceptual photographer! His work is absolutely wonderful and I do hope one day our paths cross! Vincent Minor!


"A Helping Hand"
1. Introduce yourself and the style of photography you think best represents your work.


Hi I’m Vincent! I shoot fine art storytelling portraits with a dark quality.


2. How did you get into photography?

I’m originally a west coast musician that found photography when I moved to NYC. I got a camera and decided to take some basic classes on how to use it which led me to street photography, portraits and eventually a narrative approach where I can use my imagination to create something.


"From Ruin to Epiphany"
3. What inspires your photographs?

Lately I’m inspired by how I feel emotionally, I can’t shoot something happy or whimsical if I’m feeling melancholy. Usually my emotional state is what dictates the story and passion I put behind a photograph. I use photography as a way to express where I am in my life contextually.

4.Where are some of your favorite places to shoot?

I shoot a lot in Prospect Park in Brooklyn as it resembles nature and forests which I am drawn to. Im always placing my stories in nature as I feel an organic connection to it. But I also like challenging myself and shooting indoors and in abandoned locations.


5.Do you like to photograph other things, or just your main work? 

I like to photograph stories, usually they are thought out and planned but sometimes I’ll just shoot something if I feel strongly about it. I also will tend to shoot things for stock, that I can composite into later photographs.


"Begin Voyage"
6. What is your favorite photo you've taken and why?

That changes so often because of where I feel I’m at personally. Sometimes a very simple image can resonate with me much more than the many hours of photoshop I put into others. That said I would probably have to go with the very first complicated surreal photograph I created where I had to really study and figure out what I had to do to make it a reality - “Begin Voyage”


7. What do you want your viewers to take away from your work?

I’m hoping they will find a connection in their own lives that relate with what I share. People can relate to each other on an emotional level much more than on a technical one. Emotions are universal and it’s nice when we can connect with a complete stranger and feel like we know what they are going through.

8. What gear do you use? What's your most used lens and why?

I've been using a Canon 6D for a year now and my most used lens is a 50 1.4 lens. It’s light and easy to travel with and gets what I need. I don’t really believe in having too much gear, I like to keep things simple.

"Hand For the Opponent"
9. Who would you say is your favorite photographer? Why?

Another tough question! I have favorites for so many different reasons! I think Brooke Shaden will always have a special place in my heart as she was really the inspiration for my exploring of this kind of photography that I shoot. I’m also very inspired by paintings so I take inspiration in using my photograph like a brush.





10. Have you dealt with any negativity as a photographer, if so, how did you overcome it?

Of course! I think I always feel like there’s someone better than me or what I create doesn't have enough details or technique. But I realized in where I’m at and what I want to be, I don’t want to be the most amazing graphic designer so I have to balance photography with what I currently know in photoshop. I know I’m good enough to communicate stories and share those. I feel like most of the negativity I've dealt with is self inflicted and then I need to stand back and realize art is so subjective.


11. Do you plan on doing anything with your photography or do you shoot just for fun? 

"The Impossible"
Right now I’m actually trying to figure out how I can transform this fun and fulfilling “hobby” into making some money or bartering. I’d like to devote 100% of my free time to photography but until then I will have to work on it bit by bit.

12. Do you have a favorite inspirational quote? If so, what is it and why is it your favorite?

"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes."
- Oscar Wilde

13. What is one experience from shoots that you will always remember?

Last summer I spent a couple weeks in Fire Island, NY. It’s known as a party island but I went with the sole purpose of experimenting and shooting self portrait stories. I wanted to practice techniques and had such a wonderful adventure with myself and even made a few friends who pressed the shutter button for me! That whole experience is so vivid for me because I was exploring creativity in a way that I had never experienced before.


14. What would be the best advice you could give to a new photographer?

Have fun! If you aren't having fun then you are missing the entire point. Of course you have to have discipline too but shooting should be because it makes you feel alive creating something. Don’t pay any attention to what trends are or who or how many likes your photos get, that will ruin it all and really destroy the relationship you have with your mind, heart and camera.


"Lovesick"
15. Any final words you'd like to say?

Pain is universal, so is love and any other emotion. Photographers have a chance to communicate something visual that other people can feel connected with. There is no other better feeling than the feeling that you are not completely alone in this world. I think that is what love is. Someone out there is going through exactly what you are and through photographs and stories you may be able to reach another person that needs your expression because they feel it too.




No comments:

Post a Comment