Monday, April 20, 2015

30 Days of Inspiration! Day 20: Orlando Pelagio

For today's inspiration I bring to you a friend of mine from Arizona, USA! He is a super awesome guy with a great sense of humor and wonderful fashion works!




1. Introduce yourself and the style of photography you think best represents your work (fashion, conceptual, fine art, dark art, new born, etc.)

Hello, my name is Orlando Pelagio, and I am a Fashion and portrait photographer!

2. How did you get into photography?

When I was a small crouton, we had a broken Polaroid camera that I always wanted to use but never could. It wasn't until the senior year of highschool that I had the opportunity to pick up my first DSLR. From then on it's been mainly self-taught with guidance from those I look up to. 


3. What inspires your photographs?

The main source of inspiration for my photographs is music. I base most of my shoots off one song that I listen to repeatedly. 

4.Where are some of your favorite places to shoot?

I've only been using natural light for most of my work, so anywhere outdoors. My favourite places are the ones that showcase the versatility that Arizona has - even the vast desert landscapes that define it. But I try to scout places that make people wonder if it's really Arizona or not! 

5.Do you like to photograph other things, or just your main work?

That's the portrait side of things; I shoot wedding, family photos, and any variation of those types! They are all fun to me. Anything outside of people, not really, but I really want to/should!


6. What is your favorite photo you've taken and why?

This was my first photo that allowed me to put my foot in the door. From the feedback I have gotten form others, it's one of the strongest in my portfolio, and it was one of the first that I personally felt proud of - both in camera, and editing!

7. What do you want your viewers to take away from your work?

I hope that people look at it, and get inspired enough to do what they want to do. My work is open to interpretation. It may seem like it has a direct message - and it might - but I have no control over what people feel when they see it, and I hope they feel something (mainly positive, haha)

8. What gear do you use? What's your most used lens and why?

I use a Canon 6D with my 50mm 1.8 and 85mm 1.8. I do, however, rent out the 24-70mm 2.8 II whenever I get the chance! I tend to use my 50mm the most just because for being what it is, it's a very reliable, good prime lens with sharp outcome. 

9. Who would you say is your favorite photographer? Why?

This one is tough because there are about 4 photographers that I look up to the most, but I will have to go with the incredibly talented duo group Mert and Marcus. Their work constantly makes my jaw drop, from the composition, to their retouching, and how they are able to tell such surreal stories is mind boggling. I don't necessarily want to be them, but I do research their work, and take whatever qualities I like about it, and hopefully translate it over to my work.


10. Have you dealt with any negativity as a photographer, if so, how did you overcome it?

Yes; It's a very competitive career, that even when you aren't trying to make it a competition, people still try pushing your buttons. I'm too busy looking at my work, and trying my best to get better to worry about stuff like this. If it's not constructive criticism, it's nothing I care for. I don't think about anyone in an ill manner, but if people want to think of me that way, then by all means. I guess, to answer the question, I never overcame it because never really cared for it to begin with, haha. Water under a bridge.

11. Do you plan on doing anything with your photography or do you shoot just for fun?

I plan on getting published in international magazines such as Vogue, Nylon, and Dazed, etc. I also plan to work with some really big talents, and be able to do shoots around the world! But my main goals are just to hopefully leave some happiness behind, and be able to build art school to help other find a medium to express themselves.

12. Do you have a favorite inspirational quote? If so, what is it and why is it your favorite?

I guess one of my favourite quotes is " I am learning everyday to allow the space between where I am and where I want to be to inspire me and not terrify me." It's a grand motivator for me, and a reminder to work a day at a time. And once I reach my goal, to make another and continue. It's a never ending cycle, and I am happy with that!

13. What is one experience from shoots that you will always remember?

I don't have a specific one, but I would say the first time I did a paid shoot, my first wedding on my own, my first session with an agency represented model, etc. My beginnings!
14. What would be the best advice you could give to a new photographer?

There will be more days than not that you feel your work is inadequate to both your peers, and those that you look up to. But understand that being patient with yourself will help. You are never going to be fully satisfied; proud, yes, but you will see you work as ok no matter how many people will tell you how amazing it is. Take that, and run with it. Much like solitude, that doesn't have to be a bad feeling. You are constantly growing, and constantly doing better. You best won't be your best in a week, in a month, or even a year. Your best is everchanging, and that's ok. Your improvement will be subtle to you, but not to others. And always remember where you came from. Don't lose yourself in the negative.


15. Any final words you'd like to say?

While working, and doing plenty of shoots, always remember to spend time with friends, significant others, etc. and to also take care of yourself in the process.



Thank you so much Orlando for taking time and sharing a bit about yourself! I really love that you want to build a school to help others find a way of expressing themselves! Art is a very powerful thing and it can definitely help people heal and move on in their life. That's what I use photography for and it's been an amazing and crazy journey! Your quote you mentioned is absolutely perfect! That is an amazing thing to live by and I think that may also be a new favorite for me as well! Also, if we all didn't go through days where we felt like our work was crap, then we're too comfortable and need to open ourselves more to other possibilities! Again, thank you and I look forward to seeing you grow and accomplish your dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment