Thursday, April 9, 2015

30 Days of Inspiration! Day 9: Chrystal Olivero

Today I bring to you an artist I had the chance of meeting and even be in an exhibit together! She is super sweet and have always been an amazing help when people are in need of it! Enjoy!






1. Introduce yourself and the style of photography you think best represents your work (fashion, conceptual, fine art, dark art, new born, etc.)


My name is Chrystal Olivero and I would say my work is conceptual with some surrealist flare. 

"Portal"
2. How did you get into photography?

I got into photography while living on Guam. I am also a painter and I was so upset about not capturing the landscapes in the way I wanted to, so my husband bought me a camera and I have been in love ever since.


"Returning Home"

3. What inspires you as a photographer?
My inspiration comes from everywhere, honestly, it can be a house that I drive by or a song lyric that moves me.

4. What is your favorite photo you've taken and why?

I would have to say that my favorite image would have to be "Don't Wake Me" It was the first image I created that I was extremely proud of. I had a lot of negativity surrounding me from others who said I couldn't make it and that what I was doing wasn't art. When I created that piece everything just clicked and I found my confidence as an artist.
"Don't Wake Me"


5. What do you want your viewers to take away from your work?

I want my viewers to feel something, whether good or bad. Art is subjective so I don't expect everyone to love my work but if you are moved in an emotional way then I feel I have done my job as an artist.


6. What gear do you use? What's your most used lens and why?

Right now I am using my Nikon D610, and my go to lens is my 24mm-85mm. I love the wide angles it lets me get.
"Tangled"
7. Who would you say is your favorite photographer? Why?

Right now I am totally in love with Alec Dawson's work. I really love how his images catch the darker unspoken side of life.


8. Have you dealt with any negativity as a photographer, if so, how did you overcome it?

Yes, I think at some point we all run into that one person who just doesn't like our work or they don't like us personally. I used what they told me as fuel to push myself harder. Everything they told me I would never do, I have done. So in a way I am thankful for them.

9. Do you have a favorite inspirational quote? If so, what is it and why is it your favorite?
"The Darkness Inside"

My favorite quote is " Even in literature and art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth (without caring twopence how often it has been told before) you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it." C.S. Lewis. It's my favorite because everyone is so caught up on trying to be so original or worried that someone is going to steal their ideas. There has been so much done already that as long as I am doing it with my own flare it's original cause it's mine.

10. What would be the best advice you could give to someone reading this interview?

My advice is never give up, because you don't know what tomorrow will bring. Always be willing to help others and pay it forward because everyone needs someone to help them and one act of kindness can go a long way. Lastly, believe in yourself, sometimes people won't "get" you or understand your art and that's ok, as long as you love your work it will show, so don't give up on yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment