Thursday, April 16, 2015

30 Days of Inspiration! Day 16: Sonja Sandström

Tonight's inspiration is a wonderful photographer from Sweden, Sonja Sandström! :)



1. Introduce yourself and the style of photography you think best represents your work (fashion, conceptual, fine art, dark art, new born, etc.)
"One Last Flight"

My name is Sonja Sandström and I live in Stockholm, Sweden. I´m a video photographer from start, and about one year ago I started with still photography (more seriously). I just love contrast, dance and dark stories/fairytales. The best is the combination of them all!



2. How did you get into photography?

Photography is one expression that caught me. I've done it since i was too young to remember and it has grown with me. I remember how excited I was when I had to wait for my first film roll to get processed. I checked my post box every day for a week, haha.

"Night Life"
3. What inspires your photographs?

We have a lot of forest in Sweden, even in the capital you don't have to go far to get to the forest. That's why I've always been inspired of the woods. I've learned that you don't have to go far to find a really cool atmosphere for your picture. Most times you can find it in the closest hurst. You just need to explore! You can make anything look like you want inside the pictues frames. You just need to use your imagination.


4.Where are some of your favorite places to shoot?

In a tiny forest 100 meters from my house. It is close to roads and everything, but no one ever walks there. It feels untouched with fallen trees everywhere and stones covered with green moss.
5. Do you like to photograph other things, or just your main work?

I like to photograph other things as well, the difference is that I LOVE to photograph my main work.

"Autumn Leaf"
6. What is your favorite photo you've taken and why?

I think my favorite photo is the first ones I took with a fairytale genre ”Autumn leaf”. I had a vision that I wanted this picture so I went to the second hand store where I found a dress and I got so much support from my friend Viveca Molin (that is one amazing MUA that also is on the picture). The picture turned out even better than my vision and that made me even more inspired. I wanted to do more, and Nothing could stop me ;).
7. What do you want your viewers to take away from your work?

I want people who sees my pictures to be inspired to start taking pictures them selves, and perhaps get an urge to get outside and explore the nature that surrounds us.

8. What gear do you use? What's your most used lens and why?

I use my precious Canon 5d mark II that has never disappointed me, and my two Carl Zeiss lenses 50 mm f1,4 and 28 mm f2,0. That is all I need!

9. Who would you say is your favorite photographer? Why?

This one is hard.. there are so many favorites. Brooke Shaden is one of the first that I started to follow at Flickr, Brooke's pictures are amazing and inspires me a lot.

10. Have you dealt with any negativity as a photographer, if so, how did you overcome it?
"Siren of the Woods"

Yes of course, If you have a dream to work with this full time I guess every one finds some negativity. It is hard to always get your vision, way too often people want to take that away from you. So that was hard from the start to stand strong with MY vision, and be proud of it.

11. Do you plan on doing anything with your photography or do you shoot just for fun? (If you are planning a future with your work, please explain where you want to go with with)

I´m actually having my first photo exhibition next month. I'm so looking forward to that! I have some hopes and dreams with my photography that I would like to come true. Only time will tell. If it doesn't go as I want, at least I had a lot of fun and a wonderful time of my life :).

"Follow the Trail"
12. What is one experience from shoots that you will always remember?

That, when taking pictures outside, work with the light. Sunsets can be amazing to work with.

What would be the best advice you could give to a new photographer?

Have fun and keep taking pictures of what you think is inspiring, that´s the best way to bloom. Try to take the pictures you see in your head :).

No comments:

Post a Comment