Monday, April 6, 2015

30 Days of Inspiration! Day 6: Ethan Coverstone

In my last blog, I mentioned that I was going to start adding more to these blogs. Not just about why I like their work or why I think you should check them out, but a little interview to get to know the photographer and a bit of the person they are as well! I didn't make the interview extremely long because I wanted it to be enough information to be inspired by the photographer, but not so long that you'd get bored half way through. I kept it to a 10 question interview asking some questions about their photographic journey.

Today I bring to you Ethan Coverstone!




1. Introduce yourself and the style of photography you think best represents your work (fashion, conceptual, fine art, dark art, new born, etc.) 

My name is Ethan Coverstone, and I'm a photographer/Master of Architecture student from Indiana that currently lives in Los Angeles. My style of photography ranges from story-telling image sets and fashion-style photos to more abstract ideas about manipulation of light and ideas about identity. 

2. How did you get into photography?

I think I was always excited about photography as a kid, but I didn't start taking photography seriously until I was already in college studying architecture. I used self-portraiture to deal with negative critique during reviews, and it helped me to escape some of the more taxing parts of school.



3. What inspires you as a photographer?

I'm inspired by so many things, but I draw upon my own relationships with other people frequently to create the stories you see in my photos. I also take a lot of my inspiration from music and writing. I will frequently write out a specific phrase and then try and capture that in a photo.

4. What is your favorite photo you've taken and why?

I think my favorite photo changes a lot more than it probably should. But, today, I think that my favorite photo I have ever taken would probably be this set of photos. They really were a turning point in my work, and I was so excited about the meaning behind them. I grew a lot during that summer, and I feel like this set accurately represents that phase of my life.


5. What do you want your viewers to take away from your work?

The biggest compliment I have ever received is when someone tells me that my photography inspires them to use photography as a tool for telling their own stories; I hope that viewers take away a sense of wonder and begin to create things for themselves. 

6. What gear do you use? What's your most used lens and why?

I shoot with a Nikon D600 and a Nikkor 50mm 1.8 primarily. I also recently purchased a Tamron 17-35mm that I love a lot. I want to get into shooting more landscapes and wide shots and incorporating a lot more empty space into my photos.
7. Who would you say is your favorite photographer? Why?

This is always the hardest questions! I would say Francesca Woodman has been one of my favorite photographers for some time. I love the quality of the images she created, and I love how she created so much movement and story within a single image.

8. Have you dealt with any negativity as a photographer, if so, how did you overcome it?

The only real negativity I have had to deal with as a photographer has been my own self-critical attitude. I'm frequently my own worst critic, but I have (luckily) found myself among an amazing group of artists that seem to always have my back when I'm being too hard on myself.

9. Do you have a favorite inspirational quote? If so, what is it and why is it your favorite?


One of my favorite quotes is something that I say frequently: "It is what it is." I think it definitely applies to shooting photos, because, frankly, sometimes you don't get that dream shot that you had hoped for. You can't fake a whole photo in photoshop, but sometimes that limitation gives you inspiration for something different. I think that can sometimes make for a much more interesting photo!


10. What would be the best advice you could give to someone reading this interview?

The best advice I could give to other photographers would be to just keep shooting. I am the worst at this, but I know that if I keep working, producing images, and being self-critical, I will continue to grow as an artist. 

11. Any final words you'd like to say?

I guess my final words should be a big thank you for messaging me!! I really appreciate the opportunity, and I wish you the best of luck with the rest of your 30 days!!





I'd like to take a minute to thank Ethan for being so kind and replying to my message! I love meeting positive people and learning about new bodies of photography! I hope you guys enjoy this format of inspiration over what I was previously doing the first 5 days! I can't wait to introduce more and more people into your artistic lives and I hope you gain some inspiration from these photographers and their journeys!


No comments:

Post a Comment