Monday, April 27, 2015

30 Days of Inspiration! Day 27: Aleah Ford





"Wall Art: Face"


1. Introduce yourself and the style of photography you think best represents your work.



Hullo! My name is Aleah Michele Ford, I’m a conceptual portrait photographer from Buffalo, NY.

2. How did you get into photography?

Initially, I picked up a camera and took a class in photo so that I could take my own reference images for drawing and painting. Shortly into the class, my teacher introduced me to the work of Aaron Nace, Brooke Shaden, and Rosie Hardy. From there I discovered a whole world of incredible photographers on Flickr.
"The Catalyst of Light"

3. What inspires your photographs?

Oh sweet mercy, so many things… sculptures, paintings, fairytale stories, songs, quotes, and even wallpaper! Adventure and fantasy are two of the main driving forces behind why I love photography… it gives me an excuse to embark on adventures in the most ordinary places on average days, the forest becomes a magical place again.

4.Where are some of your favorite places to shoot?

The forest and fields. There’s something magical nature, it becomes a beautiful neutral space of possibility. Specifically though, there is a pond up the hill, from it you can see across fields and hills to see the most spectacular sunset.

5.Do you like to photograph other things, or just your main work? 

Being the extremely anxious bubble I am, I tend to stick with my main work. On the side I’ll shoot portrait sessions with clients. Concert and Wedding photography fills my tummy with fluffy butterflies of doom, I should leave it to those who love it.

"Wall Art: Wall Flower"
6. What is your favorite photo you've taken and why?

Wall Art: Wall Flower
It has a subtle non-intrusive beauty about it that I find difficult to capture.

7. What do you want your viewers to take away from your work?

I want them to pause. 

8. What gear do you use? What's your most used lens and why?

The 50mm 1.4 is my absolute favorite lens! I adore the depth it has, it renders the world so beautifully that sometimes I wish the human eye could see bokeh the way the 50mm does. As for the full army: Canon 5D Mark II, 50mm 1.4, 17-40mm, 70-300mm. Occasionally I’ll shoot with a Canon T3i and an underwater case made for the body. 



9. Who would you say is your favorite photographer? Why?

I have to list a few, I hope that’s alright! Oleg Opscuro, Kirsty Mitchel, Alex Currie, Alex Stoddard, David Talley, Aliza Razell, Gabriel Isak, and Miss Aniela. I look up to Alex Stoddard because we started out in photography around the same time, the entire time I was developing my craft I had the privilege of seeing his develop too. I also adore the way Aliza Razell incorporates her watercolor paintings into her photographs, I feel like I am reading a story every time I see an image of hers.

10. Have you dealt with any negativity as a photographer, if so, how did you overcome it?

Yep, it’s generally more from myself than anyone else. You know that inner dialogue that goes on in your head all the time? It’s constantly playing telling me that I’m not as good as someone else that my new work isn’t as good as a few months ago, that I’m pursuing a silly childish dream. This usually happens when I forget why I started shooting in the first place, its fun!

"Wall Flower: Paisley"
11. Do you plan on doing anything with your photography or do you shoot just for fun? 

Oooh, this is quite the question…I’d like to teach photoshop as a professor. During my undergrad and graduate studies I had opportunities to design lessons and teach my peers. I think my future in art is in teaching. 

12. Do you have a favorite inspirational quote? If so, what is it and why is it your favorite? 

“For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11

Over the years I have learned that everything that has happened in the past (no matter how random, painful, or unrelated it may be) comes together and prepares you for something ahead. Will I end up in my dream career? Maybe not, but all of this is still valuable, even if I do not yet know the reason.

13. What is one experience from shoots that you will always remember?

Tyler and I were on our Honeymoon this past summer and we had this bizarre opportunity to swim with Whale sharks. These powerful creatures were enormous and gorgeous! We had to jump off the side of a boat in rough waters then swim our little tushies off to keep up with them! Afterwards the boat crew raced a storm back to shore. The entire thing was so surreal! (www.flickr.com/photos/-si-tu-savais-/15168782891/)

"Wall Art: Sculptured III"
14. What would be the best advice you could give to a new photographer?

Make art… and a ton of it. Michelangelo did not create a masterpiece at his first go, so lighten up, neither will you! Bayles and Orland (1993) wrote that “The function of the overwhelming majority of your artwork is simply to teach you how to make the small fraction of your artwork that soars” (p. 5). So there you go, you now have permission to create!

15. Any final words you'd like to say? 

Thanks for asking me! It’s a delightful honor to be able to answer these!

No comments:

Post a Comment